Fig trees can be grown inside or outside. Most people think that they can’t grow trees inside their homes. It is not true, this can be done very easily. If you make your mind then the question that arises in your mind is how is it possible? The answer to this question is very simple.
You can grow figs effortlessly and they take one or two years to mature. By growing it you not only satisfy your gardening sense but at the same time, it is a good addition as a decorative plant.
Benjamin fig, Weeping fig, and Ficus tree are the most common names of this plant. The most common fig variety is the Negro Largo. The leaves of fig trees are dark green and oblong. Leaves can grow up to 2 to 5 inches long. Fig trees can grow up to 18 feet tall but definitely, you will not want this size of the tree at your home.
To control the size you will need to prune and keep the pot size small. But make sure your pot has drainage holes. In this article, we will discuss how to grow fig trees and how to maintain them. We will also discuss important varieties of fig.
Your fig tree will add beauty to your home, you will get green leaves and tasty fruit at the same time. So before starting it you should gather all the necessary knowledge about it. Your care and maintenance will make it possible that you will get fruit from your tree.
EASY WAY OF GROWING FIGS INDOORS
Growing figs from seeds need patience and care. If you are a beginner then you can buy a tree from a local nursery or greenhouse. Choose your fig tree in the nursery and bring it home. Now you will need to change the pot.
INSTRUCTIONS OF CHANGING POT OF FIG TREE
Follow the steps to change the pot of the fig in which you bought it from the nursery.
- Now choose a planter that has drainage holes in the bottom. After the selection of planters, you need high-quality soil for filling. But remember, add two inches of soil.
- The next step is the removal of the fig tree from its small pot. Remove the plant from the old pot and place it in the new planter. Now fill the rest with dirt and soil.
- At first, your fig tree needs more water, keep pouring the water until the water comes out from the drainage holes. Drainage is very important for the perfect growth of your plant, otherwise, your fig plant will sit in the water. Don’t make it happen and be sure your planter has drainage holes. Don’t take a risk about this because your effort will be lost. So be careful about the holes of the planter at the bottom of the planter. Your fig plant needs water once a week. So make sure your plant gets consistent and regular water.
- As you are growing fig trees inside your house so you can’t grow a taller tree. When your tree reaches a suitable size then you can prune it. You can also maintain the size and shape of the tree according to your desire but the best size of the fig tree is 6 to 8 inches.
- Your fig tree needs all the major nutrients. You should try to provide basic organic material in the form of fertilizer. Your fig tree requires fertilizer once a month in Spring and Summer. But in winter and autumn, you may fertilize it after two months.
TIPS FOR GROWING FIG IN CONTAINERS
- The main reason for the lightweight container is that you can easily manage it. There are different types of containers available which are made of different materials such as ceramic, wood, and clay. If your planter has wheels then you can easily move it anywhere in your home.
- Use a potting mix for the better growth of your fig tree. You can also add bark chips or perlite to improve drainage quality. Mulching helps to maintain the moisture within the soil.
- Don’t let your soil dry, try to water your fig tree daily in the morning. You can also use a drip irrigation tube which can be controlled by a battery power timer.
- Sunshine is very important in the growth of any plant in the same way your tree needs daily sunlight. Make it possible that your container will get maximum light to bear fruit. You can control the shape and size of the tree by pruning and adding high nitrogen fertilizer after every 4 weeks in the spring.
- The best temperature for the growth of healthy fig is above 60 degrees Fahrenheit or 16 centigrade.
- If you feel or notice a sticky substance on the leaves or branches of the fig tree which you buy from the store. It means that this plant probably has an infestation of insects.
BEST VARIETIES OF INDOORS FIG TREES
Fig belongs to the mulberry (Moraceae) family. If you provide suitable conditions then fig will grow rapidly. This fast-growing fruit contains many broadleaf evergreen trees, shrubs, and lianas.
In some areas where outside conditions are not ideal for your fruit, there you can grow them indoors in containers. Some varieties of indoors figs trees are as follows
This variety has dark green velvety leaves and cream-colored veins. This variety can be grown outdoors as well as indoors. But keep in mind you should select the spot which gets proper sunlight as this variety likes bright places. The best thing about it is that it requires little maintenance which is the best thing. It means if you are a beginner you can easily grow it.
This is a popular type that has large deep glossy green violin-shaped leaves and a stunning look. This is not a fast-growing tree and its maximum height is about 9 feet when you grow them as indoor houseplants. This variety needs proper care and attention as this plant is quite fussy and sensitive to environmental changes.
This variety has narrow and long leaves and long stems which gives it a bushy appearance. The maximum height of this variety is 10 feet, you can control its size by pruning. This variety needs little maintenance and care that’s why you can easily grow it in your house.
This variety has large attractive leaves that can grow up to 12 inches long. The colors of the leaves are dark green with maroon veins. When you grow it at your home it can grow up to 8 feet tall. Well-drained soil is needed for its better development.
Weeping fig is the most popular fig plant indoors. This variety has shiny small leaves and it looks like a small shrub tree. You can use this plant for decorative purposes. Little maintenance required but a good amount of light. Weeping figs need water once a week to keep the soil moist.
This is another variety that grows well indoors. The interesting thing is that this type has heart-shaped leaves and you can grow this plant as a climber. You can train up on the wall with the help of a trellis.
You can even grow them in a hanging basket. Little maintenance makes it prominent from other varieties. Creeping figs needs plenty of indirect sunlight and moist soil.
This variety can be grown as an indoor plant. It has waxy leaves with a novel shape. It needs indirect sunlight and does not tolerate environmental changes.
HOW TO CARE FOR A FICUS PLANT INDOORS
The major factors that play an important role in the promising growth of fig trees are soil, water, light, temperature, and pruning.
SOIL AND CONTAINER
Fig plants need loamy and well-drained soil. Potting soil will be a great choice for growing indoor plants. Learn how to make your own potting soil at home.
At the same time your planter, container, or pot should have a drainage hole. It is necessary for the healthy growth of the plant as these holes allow excess water to drain.
It is mentioned above again and again that fig plants need plenty of light, so put your container of fig tree near a window that receives a good amount of sunlight. You can also supplement sunlight with the use of a good kind of LED grow light. Here are a few LED grow lights that you might like.
Water is an important factor for any plant but the need for water is different for each type of plant. On summer days your fig plant needs water once a week. But overwatering turns its leaves yellow.
If you are thinking about what is the best time to prune your fig tree, you can do it in Spring and Winter. As you are growing them in your house, the height must be reasonable to maintain. Pruning also helps to grow new leaves and your fig tree turns bushy.