Hello Friends! In this article, I am going to show you the list and growing method of top 6 microgreens you can grow in your Kitchen Garden. Microgreens are very healthy and delightful to eat. They have almost 5 times more nutrients and vitamins than full-grown vegetables. I know! microgreens are very costly but you can grow your own supply in your kitchen garden in no time. Microgreens are very easy to grow and take very less time. Average time of microgreens is about 10 days to 2 weeks.
Always select Non-GMO organic seeds which have a higher germination rate, because you don’t want any more GMO food in your tummy. You can grow microgreens in any container that is available. But I’m gonna recommend you to use 10/20 inches container for a good supply. The best growth medium for microgreens growth is coconut coir. Because it is pest free and it can retain a good amount of moisture, which is beneficial for growth.
Here is the list of top 6 microgreens for your kitchen garden.
Number one: Sun Flower Microgreens.
Sunflower microgreens are the most popular one. The seeds are quite larger than other seeds.
- First, soak the seeds in a glass of water for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours seeds will be very well hydrated.
- Spread these seeds on your growth medium (coconut coir).
- Put some pressure on seeds (a piece of wood).
- Don’t put soil or growing medium on seeds.
- Water the seeds before putting weight on it.
- After 2 days, remove the weight, and check the germination.
- Water these germinated seeds every day with a spray bottle.
- Just in 10 days, sunflower microgreens are ready to harvest.
- Use a knife or scissors to harvest microgreens.
- Put them in your salad or sandwich and enjoy.
Number Two: Pea Shoot Microgreens.
Pea shoot microgreens are 2nd most popular microgreens in the market. Their seeds are also quite larger than others. They are very easy to grow. If you are new in microgreens, I suggest you start with this kind. Here is the complete method to grow pea shoot microgreens.
- Add seeds in a jar and put water in it.
- Soak them for 24 hours straight.
- Now spread them on coconut coir (growing medium).
- You can put some weight on it or just put some coconut coir on it.
- Water them with a spray bottle every day.
- In just 10 days, microgreens will be 5 to 6 inch tall.
- When they are that tall, they are ready to harvest.
- Cut the microgreens about 4 inches with a knife or scissors.
Number Three: Redish Microgreens.
They are the fastest-growing type of all microgreens. Their seeds are quite smaller in size. So use them in small amount, because they can be oversaturated which is not good.
- No need to presoak this type.
- Just spread some seeds on your growing medium evenly.
- Put some soil or coconut coir on them and water them using spray bottle.
- After 2-day seeds will start germination.
- After 2 more days they will be 2 inches tall.
- 2 more days and they are ready to harvest.
- Cut the top 2 inches of microgreens.
Redish microgreens are very spicy and have flavour just like fully grown radish. They can enjoy in your soup, salad or sandwiches.
Number Four: Broccoli Microgreens.
Broccoli Microgreens have same to grow as radish microgreens, just a little different.
- No need to presoak the seeds.
- Spread the seeds on the growing medium.
- Don’t put the soil or coconut coir on seeds, water them and put some weight.
- Broccoli microgreens will not grow well without weight on them.
- After 3 days shoots will appear.
- Now its time to remove weight and water regularly.
- After 2 more days they will be 1 inch tall and turn yellow to green.
- After 4 days they will be 3 inches tall and ready to harvest.
- Cut the upper 2 inches.
- Broccoli microgreens go with every dish or soup.
Number Five: Cress Microgreens.
You need to presoak these seeds in a jar with water. After 24 hours, seeds with produce a gel-like medium.
- Spread the gel-like medium with seeds on growing medium carefully. Don’t leave anything, spread everything.
- Water them and don’t put anything on seeds. No soil or weight.
- After 2 days they will start germination.
- First, they will be yellow and after 2 more days, they will turn green and 1 inch tall.
- 4 more days, 3 inches in height and ready to harvest.
Number Six: Flax Microgreens.
- Sprinkle some water in your growing medium using spray bottle.
- Spread seeds on it.
- Water the seeds and put it in some dark place for 2 days.
- After 2 days put it in some sunny place.
- At day 5, they will be 1 inch tall.
- Day 6 and they are ready to harvest or you can wait a day or 2.
If you want a clean harvest on each and every microgreen, you can put some non-toxic paper towel on your growth medium. It will not affect the growth of microgreens, but at the time of harvest, it will not allow the contact of soil or growth medium with microgreens.