Radish is an annual vegetable. It’s crunchy texture and flavor makes it unique from other vegetables. Its taste can be mild or spicy, its shape can be round or oval and big or small.
It is found in different colors like reddish-purple, rosy pink, black, pure white, and green.No special guidance or research is needed for growing radish. Only one thing is required which is the root of radish for plantation.
Other parts of radish can’t take part in the growing process of a new plant. There are different kinds of radish with some growing in spring and summer and some in winter. The main varieties of radish are Green Meat, Easter Egg, Watermelon, Black Spanish, and White Globe Hailstone.
Read More: 14 Vegetables You Can Grow Again And Again
Types of Radish
The most common types of radish are as follows:
Length: 5 to 8 inches or 13 to 20 I’m
Colour: Bright Red but inside is white.
Use: Its taste is very delicious and can be used in salad.
Colour: White inside and out.
Taste: Sweet and juicy.
Shape: Small and round.
Colour: Red to bright white at the tip.
Taste: Mild, crunchy, and pungent.
Shape: Round or cylindrical.
Early Scarlet Gold
Colour: Red with inside white.
Fire and Ice
Colour: Red on the top and white on the bottom.
Taste: Mild and sweet.
Also Read: How to Grow Strawberry from Seeds at Home
Method of Growing Radish
Like carrots, you can also plant radish from its roots. You can get the root end of the radish using a kitchen knife. You need one inch from the root of the radish. When you collect the root, you can plant it in the raised bed or in-ground bed.
It is the easy way to grow radish and no special technique is required for this process. If you are a beginner in gardening then you can easily grow radish in your garden.
Read More: How to Build Tall Raised Garden Beds?
For step 2, you need germination gel to cover the entire cut surface of the radish root. You can use your fingers to spread the gel over the surface evenly.
Select a sunny spot. With the help of a garden hose, you can dig, two inches hole in the soil, so you can place the root end into the hole and cover the hole with the soil.
You can dig a row of radish by keeping 2 inches distance between holes in which you are going to plant radish. If you want to dig another row, so be careful and space at least 10 inches between the rows.
Radish can be harvested within a month. If the temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit then it might take 50 days to mature. After maturity, you can harvest it from your garden and it is ready for your cooking, you can also store it for future use. The important thing about radish is that you can plant it multiple times in a growing season.
Important Factors For Growing Radish
There are many factors which are essential for the growth of radish.
Light is an important factor for the development of new plants of radish. Light affects leaf development while photoperiod and irradiance level.
Temperature and Sunlight
Radish needs at least eight hours of sunlight daily, in the summer days, you have to provide some shade to the plant. Don’t plant radish in summer because the hot temperature is not suitable for radish. Plan to plant radish in both the spring and the fall.
The fertility of the soil is more important in the growth of any plant. High-quality soil increases the production of the plant. Radish needs well-drained fertile soil with a pH of 5.5 to 6.8. If needed you can add compost to the soil and fertilize it regularly.
The growth of the roots become slow if your soil is dry. It is an important thing to note, the slow-growing radishes also have an unpleasant flavor.
Water has a great effect on the quality and taste of the radish crop. Radish needs moisture in the soil but it doesn’t mean that over-saturated the container.
Harvest on Time
When your radish is mature enough, harvest it on time. Otherwise, your radish will start splitting, cracking, or developing an unpleasant spongy texture. Do not leave radish in the ground after maturity because their condition will deteriorate quickly. The maturity time of radish is about 50 to 70 days.
Benefits of Radish
Radish has a lot of benefits
- You can use radish to control the damage of your red blood cells. It will also increase the oxygen supply to the blood.
- It contains high fiber which improves your digestion. You can take it daily in your salad.
- Another benefit of radish to safeguard your liver and gallbladder.
- Radish is a very good source of anthocyanins. Its use makes our heart functioning properly. Its regular intake will reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. In radish, we can get vitamin C folic acid and flavonoids too.
- If you want to control your blood pressure then you should increase your intake of potassium which you get from radish, use it if you are suffering from hypertension.
- Radish improves your basic immune system. It controls the development of harmful free radicals, inflammation, and early aging.
- Radish decreases the chances of getting atherosclerosis.
- It helps to fight against acidity, obesity, gastric problems, and nausea.
- It contains vitamin E, A, C, B6, and K, it also has antioxidants fiber, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, calcium, iron, and manganese.
- Radish juice is very good for your skin because it has Vitamin C, zinc, and phosphorus, it can reduce your pimple acne and rashes. It is also good for your hair because it helps to remove dandruff, prevent hair loss and strengthens roots of the hair.
- It is the best cure for dehydration because it contains high water content.